Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Low energy days


There are days when you just don't feel funny. Even my own characters are getting on my case. Oh well, they have to earn a living too I suppose. If they can get a better deal with another cartoonist who am I to stand in their way? It's a tough time to be a tooner. Jobs are vanishing, publications shuttering their doors. It's what may come to be known as our dark ages. I never thought I would see the day when cartoons would face a situation they face now. You would think in times as desperate as these that cartoons would be something people need more than ever which of course they do. But it's the publishers who are trimming their stocks and getting rid of features and spots for them in the misguided notion that cartoons are dispensable. They are the easiest people to fire to their thinking. Cartoonists rarely if ever go 'postal'. We're just too nice. We just sigh and trudge away with our sketchbooks and pencils in hand, heads hanging low.
And they wonder why we have a hard time being funny.

No comments: